Senior Citizens Coupon Information (SFMNP)
The 2013 Farmers Market Senior Nutrition Program
Beginning April 1, 2013
Enrollments limited so please get your Application in ASAP
Hurry and get your Senior Farmers Market Coupons for 2013 - Come by the Direct Sales and pick up your applications NOW!!
The Farmers Market Fresh Senior’s program is designed to help senior citizens improve their nutrition while helping local farmers to sell their produce. Each individual enrolled will receive special-purpose checks that can be redeemed only for fresh, locally-grown produce at participating markets. Former participants must re-enroll each year
Things to remember :
1. You must be age 60 or older.
2. You meet the program’s income requirements. You must certify your household income.
3. You must sign each coupon in the booklet.
4. No change will be given, so purchase wisely.
5. You may have someone you trust shop for you.
6. You may only purchase APPROVED produce.
7. You can only use these coupons at participating farmers/vendors.
8. You must live in Carroll, Grayson, Smyth, Wythe Bland, and Washington counties or Galax, or Bristol, Virginia.
9. You meet the program’s income requirements. You must certify your household income.
What’s in season?
Farm Market Fresh checks are issued for the summer growing season and usually must be spent during the months of July through October, depending on availability of produce. Checks are used only for typical fruit and vegetables that grow in Virginia and in a normal season, such as those listed below. The varieties, volume, and quality of available produce may vary depending on the weather and other factors.
Fresh cut herbs
ITEMS NOT ELIGIBLE:
Items that you may NOT purchase with the SFMNP checks include:
• produce that is not locally grown such as oranges, bananas, and pineapples
• processed foods such as honey, maple syrup, cider, nuts, meat, bread, and cheese
• non-food items such as flowers and plants are NOT eligible
Still have questions?
Call a 1-800-820-2646 (toll-free) or 276-783-2598 in the Marion area for more information.
**Legible and complete applicants are accepted and processed by date and order received. There are a limited number of SFMNP Coupon Books!
Please return/mail COMPLETED Applications to the address below:
District Three Governmental Cooperative
4453 West Lee Hwy
Marion, VA 24354-4270
How does Farm Market Fresh for Seniors Work?
• You are eligible to participate in the program if you meet the criteria outlined below and if you enroll during the PRE-ENROLLMENT period. Participation is on a FIRST-COME, FIRST-SERVED basis, and the number of people who can enroll is limited. Not all regions within a service area are eligible to participate in the program, so contact your local Area Agency on Aging (AAA) for more information.
• Once you are enrolled, you will receive your Farm Market Fresh for Seniors coupons.
• Each coupon may be used to purchase fresh, locally-grown fruits, vegetables and cut herbs from participating certified retail farmers market vendors. You will not receive change back on your purchase when you use a Farm Market Fresh for Seniors coupon.
• Certified retail farmers market vendors will exchange coupons for fresh fruits and vegetables in-season, depending on the season and the food items available for the farmer to exchange.
Why should I participate in the “Farm Market Fresh for Seniors” program?
• To get FRESH, TASTY and NUTRITIOUS locally-grown fruits, vegetables and cut herbs at no cost to you.
• To get 5 or more daily servings of tasty fruits and vegetables for better health.
• To support the farmers in your region.